A season-by-season summary of the Club's history

New team formed
Team folded

The Club's history starts when a group of friends meet every Sunday morning for kick-abouts at Princes Park, a small area of parkland in Temple Fortune, NW11. The youngsters play on a sloping pitch behind one of the tennis courts, using conveniently placed trees as goal posts.

Small-sided games continue well into 1968 right up to the Club's formation and beyond.
Around the autumn of 1968, a few members of the group split away to start up a team named Princes Park. On 28th December 1968, on a cold winter's afternoon outside No.1 Oakfields Road, NW11, four other players, namely Michael Rook, Robert Silverstone and brothers Nigel and Peter Kyte, decide to form their own team.

Unable to use the obvious name of Princes Park, the young foursome call the new side Temple Fortune Town.
The first game of any kind under the banner of 'TFT', as the team was affectionally known, takes place at Lyttleton Playing Fields in 1969. The Kyte brothers (Peter left and Nigel right in this photo taken in 1970) play in the first game with pullovers as goal posts!

TFT take part in more small-sided matches to begin with. Games continue at Princes Park, both on the sloping lower and larger upper 'pitches' there.
The first 11-a-side match is played on Sunday 25th October 1970 at Hampstead Heath, where TFT beat Princes Park Juniors by 12-4. In 1971, the name is shortened to just Temple Fortune.

A set of clearance school shirts – yellow with white collars and cuffs – are purchased from Pullens in Temple Fortune Parade for only £14!

Tom Flynn becomes the first Temple Fortune player to be sent off. Flynn, one of the Club’s original players who took part during Temple Fortune’s pre-league days, is dismissed against Leeville Town at Hampstead Heath.
Temple Fortune continue to play the occasional friendly match but towards the end of the 1972/73 season (which featured the very first newsletter), the idea is for the Club to progress into proper league football.

In June 1973, teenage founders Nigel and Peter Kyte, joined by brothers David and Jeremy Lobl, hold a meeting to decide whether or not the team should join the Maccabi (Southern) Football League (
MSFL) for season 1973/74. A split vote defeats the proposal just prior to the MSFL's Annual General Meeting.
Because of this setback, Temple Fortune fall into a decline which sees the Club stagnate for a couple of years, playing very few proper matches.

A special 24-page handbook (right) is produced for season 1973/74 by Nigel Kyte; it is a one-off copy circulated in turn to players!

Peter Kyte leaves to play MSFL football for Athletico Neasden but his brother keeps the Club going, reverting to mainly small-sided games.
On 18th February 1976, the Club is revived at a meeting by the forming of a new Management Committee. Peter Kyte returns to the Club after his spell with Athletico Neasden.

Temple Fortune complete the 1975/76 season by playing five friendlies, three of them against existing
MSFL teams. Winning four and drawing one, this encouraging start paves the way towards a successful application being submitted to join the MSFL for the 1976/77 season.

At the Club's first AGM held at the Alyth Youth Club in Temple Fortune, Nigel Kyte is elected as Chairman, whilst Peter Kyte takes on the role of General Secretary.

Affiliating to the London Football Association, Temple Fortune purchase a new green and white kit and are allocated Parliament Hill Playing Fields for home matches in the inaugural league season.
The first historic MSFL match is played on Sunday 5th September 1976 against fellow-newcomers Bushey United, a Division Two fixture. Temple Fortune, managed by Michael Rook and sporting green and white vertical striped shirts, green shorts and green socks, lose narrowly by the odd goal in seven in Watford, a match watched by MSFL Chairman David Wolff.

Temple Fortune go on to finish the debutant season in 7th out of 13 teams.
In the next season, the Club are allocated its first Barnet Council home venue at West Hendon Playing Fields, staying there for five years.

Despite a good start to the season, including the Club's record league win of 16-0 against Marylebone Dynamo in the first fixture, the First XI finish third in Division Two and just fail to go up at the second attempt of trying.

Richard Batten becomes the first Temple Fortune player to win
MSFL Representative honours, playing for the League's Senior XI.
With most of the 'green and white' team leaving, a group of new players join the Club following a meeting with Richard Cohen, Andy Jaye and Martin Leigh at the Kyte family home. They represent a team that left it too late to join the MSFL so they agree to 'merge' with Temple Fortune instead.

A new all-royal blue kit brings third time lucky for Temple Fortune as the Club gains its first promotion, going up from Division Two in fourth place due to expansion of the divisions above.

Goalkeeper Len Wyse (pictured in the red shirt), plays for the
MSFL Rep team in the Senior XI.
TFFC quickly progress sufficiently enough to be able to form a Second XI which enters the MSFL. Kitted out in a new all-pale blue kit, the first match takes place on Sunday 2nd September 1979, a 4-0 defeat away to Glenthorne United.

The Seconds lose the opening seven matches before finally defeating Basinghill Wanderers by 4-3 on 11th November, one of only two wins all season!
Now playing in all-red, the First XI enjoy another promotion, this time climbing into the Premier Division for the first time, eventually spending three seasons there.

The Firsts, captained by the influential Stephen Bourne (far right) also reach the semi-final of the Peter Morrison trophy Southern Zone, losing just 2-1 to Maccabi football 'giants' MAL, the evenual National winners.
Further progress is made in the Peter Morrison Trophy as Temple Fortune's First XI go one better to reach the Southern Area Final, losing to Marshside at Wingate's Arkley ground. Playing in red and black stripes, red shorts, for Fortune it is a disappointing match after a really exciting cup run.

In the semi-final, 'little' Fortune shock favourites Kenton Maccabi 2-1, one of the biggest surprise results in Maccabi football ever. "Like Lincoln beating Liverpool" exclaims Chairman Nigel Kyte at the time!

Gary Hyams (far right, bottom row) is named
MSFL Footballer of the Year (Premier Division), the League's top individual players' honour. He also plays for the MSFL Senior Rep team, Fortune's third player to be selected.
The Club moves to a new home venue, this time at Bethune Park in Friern Barnet where both teams have use of a large flat pitch within a fenced-off running track. The pitch is graded A and is one of the best in the borough at the time.

After three inauspicious seasons of league football, fortunes change for the Second XI as they gain promotion for the first time, elevating into the
MSFL Division Two.

Paul Squires represents the Maccabiah Games Representative XI in a trial match, whilst Nigel Kyte, who as an official on a football tour to Israel, plays for a Maccabi Union 'B' Rep XI (on as a late sub!)
A Temple Fortune team (actually the Seconds) revert to yellow shirts for the first time since the original shirts were purchased in 1971. Between 1976 and 1983, various colours had been used by the Fortune sides.

The Club goes on to adopt yellow shirts and red shorts as its traditional colours from the mid-eighties onwards, and has mainly kept up this identity to the present day.

Farley Conway makes the
MSFL Senior Rep side, Fortune's second goalkeeper achieving this feat.
Most of the ageing First XI squad walk out midway through the season, leaving mainly Second XI players to complete both set of fixtures.

On one particular Sunday, the predominently Second XI have to fulfil a First XI cup tie against
MSFL Premier side Marshside and then rush to Cassiobury Park to represent the Seconds in a league fixture v Bushey! The games are lost by 17-1 and 10-2 respectively, the Club's worst pair of results on one day to the current time.

However, both teams remain intact after an immensely arduous season of struggle but the Firsts and Seconds suffer relegation.

Ralph Epstein sadly passes away and the first Memorial Trophy (pictured) fixture in his name is held between Temple Fortune and Bushey United.
With the Club decimated by so many players leaving, there is a welcomed influx of new players including Dave Salamons (elected team secretary) and Tony Stock (captain) who will lead Fortune to a very successful season ahead.

Temple Fortune enjoy a wonderful revival with the highlight being the winning of the
MSFL Second Division championship (trophy depicted) after a record-breaking season by the new-look First XI, wearing yellow shirts and red shorts for the first time. The Firsts, captained by Tony Stock, score over 100 goals in 20 league fixtures, winning 17.

Steve Levy smashes the individual goalscoring record in one season by netting 46 goals (previous best 34 by Steve Hyams in 1979/80). Steve Feiger is close behind on 43.

The Ralph Epstein Memorial Trophy is also won for the first time as Fortune beat Bushey United 7-6 at King George V Playing Fields in Watford.

Henry Charles wins the
MSFL Second Division Player of the Year award.
The Club receive a sponsored playing kit for the first time – Clive Pollard, a First XI player, provides a yellow and red kit for the First Team. Tony Stock (right) wears one of the shirts in winning the Ralph Epstein Memorial Trophy the season after.

The 1987 REMT encounter against Bushey is played at QPR’s old astroturf pitch at Loftus Road, costing £250. Including printed programmes, the two teams share a bill of around £300 which is the Club's most expensive fixture ever.
The First XI return to the MSFL Premier Division for another three-year spell, by finishing runners-up in Division One. In the crucial last match against fellow-promotion challengers Bar Kochba, Fortune draw 0-0 (picture shows half-time during that very match) to pip BK for the medals.

David Shone wins the
MSFL First Division Player of the Year award.

The Second XI's first sponsored kit comes from Kersens Hairdressers – maroon shirts and sky blue shorts! Not ideal but a sponsored kit all the same!
The Second XI enjoy their best season since 1982/83 and gain promotion to the M(S)FL Second Division, the team's second promotion since formation.

Alan Mattey becomes the Club's fifth player to be selected for the
MSFL Representative Senior XI.
The Second XI finish seventh out of nine teams in Division Two and are controversially promoted to the First Division by the League's Committee, a calamitous error against the Club's express wishes which eventually leads to the demise of the Seconds.
Demotion from MSFL's top flight signals the start of another period of decline for the First XI. Worse is to follow as the Second XI's envisaged season of struggle becomes reality, ending in a predicted relegation from Division One.

Temple Fortune travel to Cardiff to play a Peter Morrison Trophy tie, the only time the Club has played outside England! The picture shows the pre-match dressing room as Cardiff Maccabi are subsequently defeated 7-0.

The only other highlight of an otherwise miserable season is a 22-0 victory by the First XI against Elstree Eagles, the Club's all-time record win. Mark Powell scores eight goals, the individual record in one match for Temple Fortune.

With a severely weakened squad due to most First XI players leaving the Club, the Club are forced to fold its Second side in June 1991 season.
Erring on the side of caution, the Club opts to have the remaining team compete in the MSFL Second Division rather than the division above. New players join the Club but the overall quality of the squad is below standard and Temple Fortune are relegated again.
After several years in the doldrums, Temple Fortune's First XI recruit some better players including Danny Caro, Ashley Fine and Steven Hunt and at last enjoy quite a successful season, resulting in third place in MSFL Division Three.

But although narrowly missing out on the runners-up spot, the promotion offered by the League is turned down by the Club, again a cautious approach after the difficulties of recent seasons.
As part of TFFC's Silver Anniversary celebrations in 1993, the Club hold two 'past v present' matches at Bethune Park. Such is the success of these commemorative games, an Old Boys XI is set up in June 1994 with Tony Espinoza being elected to run the new side.

The plan is for the Old Boys to play once a month, amounting to around 9 or 10 games a season – the concept is very successful for several years to follow.

The Old Boys, under the name of Old Fortunians, beat Bushey Old Boys to win the Murray Epstein Old Boys Challenge Cup (Nick Waitsman is depicted holding the trophy with his victorious team).

Jason Bookbinder is the sixth (and last) Temple Fortune player to make the
MSFL Rep Senior side. Steven Hunt scores 54 goals in all matches, the existing Club record in one season.
Expansion of the divisions above result in Temple Fortune gaining a surprise promotion back to MSFL Division Two, despite finishing 7th. Far from being cautious as was the stance previously, the Club boldly accepts the challenge with renewed optimism.

A new sponsored kit sees the Club adopt navy as a third colour for the first time, complimenting the traditional yellow and red handsomely.
The Second XI are revived after a six-year absence and spend the whole season playing friendlies with a view to entering the MSFL in the following season.

The Club take onboard a new influx of First XI players following a crucial meeting with Simon Allen, Mus Kortach and Garry Simpson, held at the Load of Hay pub in Hendon.

Childs Hill Park in Golders Green is allocated by Barnet Council as a new home venue and is used by the First XI. Apart from playing at Hampstead Heath, CHP is the nearest the Club has been to its original roots in Temple Fortune.

The newly formed Seconds play at Bethune Park but are forced to leave midway through the season due to the dressing rooms being badly vandalised. The 2nd XI play out the rest of the season at West Hendon Playing Fields instead, a return there for the first time since 1982.
Rejoining the MSFL for the first time since 1990/91, the Second XI win promotion from Division Five (which is the 2nd XI's third promotion and the Club's 9th promotion in all).

To put the icing on the cake, the Second Team also win the
MSFL's prestigious Ron Saunders Sportsmanship and Turnout Memorial Trophy (right), a fitting testimony for the typical excellent organisation traditionally enjoyed by the Club in general.
During the summer of '99, Temple Fortune become founder members of the Maccabi Masters Football League, having been the pioneers of Jewish Old Boys football since 1993.

Temple Fortune Old Boys take part in MMFL football for the first time on 17th October 1999.

Peter Kyte, one of the original Founders, plays in his 500th match for the Club. With three teams in league football, TFFC enter the Millennium having never been bigger or better run.
Temple Fortune celebrate 25 years as members of the Maccabi (Southern) Football League.

The Club's very own newsletter, The Fortune News, also commemorates its Silver Anniversary – having been produced on a regular basis every season since 1976 – and is produced on the Club's first official internet website.

The First XI return to the Second Division after a few years in the Third, thanks to the Club's 11th promotion since first joining the
MSFL in 1976.
The First XI reach a cup quarter-final for the first time since 1991 (in the MSFL Cyril Anekstein Cup).

Initial work commences on the Club's website by Steven and Nigel Kyte, creating it from scratch in Adobe GoLive. The domain '' is acquired and the process of building up an archive of TFFC information begins.
The Second XI overcome seven straight defeats in the opening seven fixtures to finish 4th in MSFL Division Four, the Club's finest season of recovery yet.

Jack Kyte, father of co-founders Nigel and Peter and the Club's photographer for many years (right), passes away on 16th February 2003, aged 83 years old.

Temple Fortune Chairman Nigel Kyte wins the Maccabi GB Lifetime Achievement in Sport Award.

TFFC's 20th annual Club Dinner is held in Whetstone.
Just like 13 years previously in 1990/91, it's a deja vu feeling as both teams face relegation, with a decision taken to fold the Second XI (for the second time).

The Club decides to enter the one remaining MSFL team into Division 4, Temple Fortune's lowest ever MSFL status for the First XI. West Hendon Playing Fields is dropped as a home venue, the Club opting to stay at Childs Hill Park.

The Old Boys XI complete an arduous season for the Club by finishing as runners-up in the new Masters League Second Division.

Peter Kyte (showing his commemorative salver) celebrates his 600th appearance for the Club.
Temple Fortune's lone MSFL team – a mixture of former First XI and Second XI players – take third place in Division Four, and gain promotion to the Third Division.

The team also reaches the Final of the MSFL Minor Invitation Cup, the Club's first cup final for 23 years, but lose to FC Heath at Wingate & Finchley FC.
The Club hires a new venue at Whitchurch Playing Fields in Stanmore (under Harrow Council), moving out of the London Borough of Barnet for the first time since 1977.

Season 2005/06 is Temple Fortune's 30th consecutive campaign in the Maccabi (Southern) Football League.
TFFC commemorates 30 years since playing the inaugural league match by holding a Gala Morning at Hillingdon Borough FC.

To mark the milestone, the Club reverts to the original league colours of green and white. Both teams are kitted out splendidly, with new navy training tops also being worn for the first time.

The First XI move to Hatch End Playing Fields because Whitchurch Playing Fields is taken over for schools use.

The Old Boys are runners-up in the Masters League Second Division whilst the Firsts miss out on second place in MSFL Division Three on goal difference but are promoted nevertheless (the Club's 13th elevation since joining Maccabi football).

On behalf of the Club, Chairman Nigel Kyte wins the Jack Wolff Memorial Trophy for the M(S)FL Team Secretary of the Year.
A move to introduce an Old Boys team to compete in the Masters First Division is turned down by the Club following a questionnaire sent to all club members. The 35 plus players decide to carry on for another season of MSFL football instead.

Towards the end of the season the issue arises again and this time the Club decides to run three teams for the 2008/09 season and form the Old Boys 'A' team. The existing Old Boys side is renamed the 'B' team. The Club go into the next season with two teams competing in the Masters League for the first time.

The Club return to yellow shirts and red shorts although the new Old Boys 'A' team adorn a red and yellow kit (pictured), a striking adaptation of the traditional Club colours!

Steven Feiger, who originally joined in 1981 and played in three separate spells for the Club, passes 400 goals for Temple Fortune.
Nick Waitsman becomes the Club's first Vice-Chairman to mark 20 years on the Management Committee and 10 seasons as the Old Boys Team manager.

The Club celebrates 40 years in existance by holding a special four-aside tournament at Princes Park on 28th December 2008, exactly 40 years to the day since the Club's formation!

The Club decides to fold the Old Boys 'A' team at the close of the 2008/09 season and reverts back to running two teams in total rather than three – one in the MSFL and the other in the MMFL.

The 25th Ralph Epstein Memorial Trophy is played and is to be the last one in the long-running series between Bushey and Temple Fortune.
Robert Benson wins the MSFL Second Division Player of the Year award, the Club's first divisional success since 1988. He becomes the second Temple Fortune player to take the Div.2 award – emulating Henry Charles 24 years previously.

For good measure, Rob also captures the Susan Lion Memorial Trophy, as the overall MSFL's leading goalscorer, to cap a wonderful individual season inwhich he collected 5 awards in total.

During the summer of 2010, the Second XI are reformed after a six-year absence and apply to join the MSFL to compete in Division Four for season 2010/11. This is the Second XI's third spell in existance and 20th season overall.
TFFC celebrate the 35th season of participation in the MSFL. The First XI receive a new kit sponsored by Daniel Stewart & Co.

The First XI win the MSFL Second Division championship, 25 years after the Club last enjoyed the same title success. Like their 1985/86 counterparts, they take the title by four points and are promoted to the First Division for the first time since season 1987/88.

The Second XI and Old Boys XI both reach cup semi-finals for the first time.

Scott Shindler wins the MSFL Second Division Player of the Year award, retaining the trophy for the Club for the second season in succession.
After five seasons at Hatch End Playing Fields, the First XI and Second XI move home venues to The Hive, the Barnet FC training ground in Harrow, and Gosling Sports Park in Welwyn Garden City respectively.

Peter Kyte (right) reaches 700 appearances and receives a trophy from MSFL Chairman David Wolff.

Despite finishing in sixth position, the Second Team are promoted to the Third Division. Similar to 1990, the Club have no choice because Division 4 is subsequently dropped!

The Club celebrates ten years of the website by passing 22,000 hits since it first went 'live' in 2001.
Gosling is dropped after one season for the Roger Bannister Sports Centre which becomes the Second Team's home venue.

Jeremy Fess (right) becomes only the second player to reach 500 appearances for the Club.

After three seasons back in operation, the Second Team is disbanded for the third time due to a lack of players. So once again the Club reverts back to running two teams – one in the MSFL and the other in the MMFL.

18th June 2013 sees the website reach 25,000 hits!
The remaining MGBSFL team (as the League has been renamed) commences season number 38 in Maccabi football playing in the Third Division, replacing the Second Team in effect. The Club's management opt for Division 3 due to the anticipated playing strength, reluctanctly sacrificing its First Division status.

The Hive is replaced by the Roger Bannister Sports Centre as the MSFL team's home venue.

The Club celebrates 45 years in existance by another 'pilgrimage' to Princes Park at the end of December 2013, holding a small-sided tournament for the Jack Kyte Challenge Cup.
At the close of the season Temple Fortune Old Boys win the Maccabi Masters Football League Sportsmanship Trophy.

The First Team are 'promoted' to Division 2 because Division 3 is folded due to reduced entries for season 2015/16.

The Club opens its Twitter page and also passes 30,000 hits on the TFFC website.
Temple Fortune FC celebrate its 40th season in Maccabi football. A yellow and red shirt carrying the 40 emblem is used by the First Team to mark the occasion.
A new exciting era starts with Simon Linden joining TFFC as First Team manager.

The Firsts commence the season with a brand new red and yellow kit sponsored by Ellis & Co. The Second Team are resurrected to play a series of friendlies, managed by Peter Kyte.

LInden's new-look team lose just two league games all season and finish runners-up in MGBSFL Division Two, gaining promotion.
The Second Team are officially reformed during the summer of 2017 and are accepted into the MGBSFL for the fourth time, taking part in Division Two. Darren Zitren and Steven Black make up the new team's management set-up. 2017/18 is the Second Team's 22nd campaign in the MGBSFL.

The First Team play in Division One for the first time since 2012/13 and despite finishing bottom, they reach the Barry Goldstein Trophy Final for the second time but lose to Faithfold.
TFFC are back to one MGBSFL team – the Second Team folded at the end of the 2017/18 campaign – and season 2018/19 is the Club's 43rd consecutive season in Maccabi football.

The Old Boys XI take part in season number 20 in the MMFL, the only ever-present team since t5he League was foemed in 1999.

At the end of the year, the Club celebrates its 50th Anniversary. A new gold 50 Years crest is designed and used (shown on the right). Also a TFFC 50 Years Book is artworked and printed in time for the anniversary in December 2018.
A more comprehensive look at TFFC's history