SEASON 1981/82
Temple Fortune's memorable run to
the Peter Morrison Trophy Final
Season 1981-82 saw Temple Fortune enjoy the Club's best season in cup football.

In April 1982, Temple Fortune's First Team reached the Southern Area Final of the Peter Morrison Trophy. This competition was Maccabi Union's premier knock-out event which was run on a National basis with the Northern and Southern Area winners meeting in the National Final. Just a year earler, Fortune had entered the PMT for the first time and did extremely well to reach the Southern Area semi-final, beating the reigning AJY Senior League champions Clayhall Alandra along the way. In the last four, the First Team gave the eventual National winners, MAL of the Hendon & District Sunday League, a huge fright – leading 1-0 for quite some time – and only lost 2-1 thanks to a late goal.

Round 2: 8th November 1981 – Temple Fortune v Grasshoppers Hendon
The start of the 1981-82 Peter Morrison Trophy campaign gave Temple Fortune a bye into the Second Round where Grasshoppers Hendon of the M(S)FL Division 2. Played at West Hendon Playing Fields, Temple Fortune won 5-2 after leading 2-1 at half-time. Gary Hyams scored a hat-trick with Steve Hyams and Terry Stone adding the others.

Round 3: 28th February 1982 – Temple Fortune v Shirehall Park
In the Third Round, the First Team were drawn at home to another Second Division side, namely Shirehall Park. Again played at West Hendon, Temple Fortune, two up at the interval, comfortably progressed to the next round with a 4-1 victory. Gary Hyams netted twice whilst captain Steve Bourne and Ian Thompson added one goal each.

Round 4: 21st March 1982 – Temple Fortune v Clayhall Alandra
The quarter-final draw paired Temple Fortune against Clayhall Alandra of the AJY League, giving the East Londoners the perfect opportunity of avenging the previous year's defeat at the same stage of the competition. Then, Temple Fortune beat Clayhall 3-1 at West Hendon Playing Fields. The rematch was a rather defensive, dull contest played in the mud and water at rainy Edgwarebury Park. There were few chances at either end and the match finished goalless after 90 minutes. Ian Thompson forced the ball home shortly into extra time to fire Fortune into the lead. Clayhall equalised a minute from the end with a bizarre goal. In a desperate effort to save the tie, they pushed their goalkeeper, limping badly from injury, into the Fortune penalty area for a corner and it was he who headed the dramatic equaliser. In the penalty shoot-out, Paul Squires superbly saved three penalties, whilst Gary Hyams, Steve Hyams, Steve Bourne and Roy Collett scored Temple Fortune's penalty to secure a 4-2 win.

So close for Temple Fortune's Steve Hyams (red shirt, centre) as he heads a corner over the Clayhall crossbar in the quarter-final deadlock at muddy Edgwarebury Park

Paul Squires saves a penalty during the shoot-out in the same game

Semi-Final: 4th April 1982 – Temple Fortune v Kenton Maccabi
Highflying Kenton Maccabi of the Hendon & District Sunday League were Temple Fortune's opposition in the semi-final. Giving Temple Fortune absolutely no chance, the Jewish Chronicle's preview a week before the match predicted a Kenton v MAL meeting in the Southern Area Final (holders MAL were playing Marshside in the other semi.) Yet, Temple Fortune pulled off one of the biggest shocks in Maccabi football ever by beating Kenton 2-1 at Headstone Manor Rec, Kenton's home pitch. Like the semi-final against MAL a year previously, Temple Fortyune put up a superb fighting performance, constantly frustrating the seemingly superior opposition (in status only) by chasing absolutely everything and defending brilliantly. Gary Hyams broke away to put the visitors one goal up just before the break. Fortune had to endure a lot of pressure in the second half but, despite conceding an equaliser, managed to deny Kenton a second goal, something MAL had achieved a year earlier to win the semi. Fifteen minutes from time, Gary Hyams sprinted through the Kenton defence and rounded the goalkeeper before scoring from an acute angle. The First Team survived late pressure to grab a remarkable 2-1 victory and how they celebrated at the final whistle! Under the piles of elated bodies lay hero Paul Squires who had another great game in goal. This incredible win remains, without doubt, one of Temple Fortune's greatest performances and results. Said Chairman Nigel Kyte at the time: "This was like Lincoln beating Liverpool in a FA Cup tie. It was absolutely incredible and I'm so proud of them." To complete a perfect day for the under-dogs, Marshside unbelievably beat MAL!

Final: 18th April 1982 – Temple Fortune v Marshside
A fortnight after the excellent win against Kenton, Temple Fortune met fellow-M(S)FL Premier side Marshside at Wingate's large pitch in Arkley. The omens were looking fairly good since Fortune had beaten Marshside 2-0 in a league fixture a few weeks previously. Unfortunately, the Firsts could not repeat the performance of two weeks earlier and seemed to freeze on the day. Gary Hyams, so influential in the previous rounds, was very quiet throughout and the team just could not get going during a very disappointing match. Marshside scored three times in the first 20 minutes as the concentration and commitment which served Fortune so well in the semi appeared to have vanished. Watched by quite a large crowd, including a biggish TFFC contingent, Temple Fortune played out a nightmarish 90 minutes, creating few chances and looking a shadow of the team which had progressed so well. The disappointed Fortune team received medals from Maccabi Union National Committee Chairman Philip Spanjer whilst Marshside progressed into the National Final. Nevertheless, it had been a great performance just to reach the Final, making the 1981/82 season Temple Fortune's best ever cup run!

Temple Fortune's team prior to the Peter Morrison Trophy (Southern Area) Final in April 1982. From left to right, back row: Terry Stone, Steve Hyams, Paul Squires, Steve Halfteck, Ian Thompson, Marcel Plesner and Steve Fisher. Front row: Roy Collett, Jeremy Powell, captain Steve Bourne, Gregory Perkins, Martin Lazarus and Gary Hyams.

PMT 1981-82
Won 5 – 2 (G.Hyams 2, S.Hyams, Stone)
Won 4 – 1 (G.Hyams 2, Bourne, Thompson)
Drew 0 – 0 AET, won 4 – 2 on penalties
Won 2 – 1 (G.Hyams 2)
Lost 0 – 4